Meeting Minutes Friday, September 6, 2019
Yavapai County Educational Technology Consortium (YCETC)
Board of Directors Annual Meeting Minutes
Friday, September 6, 2019 9:00 A.M.
YCESA – Giffin/Taylor Training Room
Yavapai County Education Service Agency
2970 Centerpointe East, Prescott, AZ. 86301
Board Members and the Public May Attend by Telephonic or Electronic Means. Call 928-442-5692. No Code is Needed.
|Board Members||YCETC Title||July 27||Sept. 21||March 1||May 30||Sept. 6|
|Tim Carter||Ex Officio Facilitator||P||P||P||P||P|
|Gary Cummins||Instructional Technology Rep.||P||P||P||P||P|
|Kathy Epperson||Instructional Technology Rep.||P||EX||P||P||P|
|Christine Griffin||Group 3 School Rep.||P||P||P||EX||P|
|Bob Weir||Group 2 School Rep.||EX||P||P||P||EX|
|Marvy McNeese||Group 1 School Rep||P||P||P||P||P|
|John Morgan||Yavapai College Rep.||P||P||EX||P||P|
|Corey Christians||Library Rep.||P||EX||EX||P||EX|
|Bill Sakelarios||Charter Rep.||P||EX||EX||P||P|
Also present were: Stan Goligoski – YCESA, Frank Vander Horst – YCESA e-Rate, Jenn Nelson – YCESA, Michael Hill – Cable One
Call to Order (President Epperson)
President Epperson called the meeting to order at 9:02 AM
Welcome and Establishment of Quorum (President Epperson)
A quorum was established.
Limited Call to the Public
- The public is invited to speak about any agenda item.
- There is a limit of three (3) minutes per speaker and 20 minutes total.
- Request to speak must be in writing and provided to the Clerk at the beginning of the meeting or prior to
any agenda item.
- The President has absolute discretion over procedural matters.
- The Board may waive their “Public Participation Policy” as it applies to all speakers.
- Members of the public may indicate their support or opposition to a topic, in writing, that will be noted
And entered into the record.
- The Board may not respond to comments from the public, but may ask the facilitator to respond or place
the item on a future agenda.
There were no limited calls from the public.
Discussion and Action Items of the Consent Agenda:
All items on the Consent agenda may be adopted as a whole with one motion, unless a member of the Board wishes to consider it separately.
- Approval of the Agenda for September 6, 2019
- Approval of the Regular Meeting Minutes if May 30, 2019
Marvy McNeese made a motion to approve the consent agenda as presented; John Morgan seconded the motion; Bill Sakelarios, Marvy McNeese, Kathy Epperson, John Morgan, Christine Griffin and Gary Cummins unanimously voted 6/0; it was approved.
Presentation: The Yavapai County Education Technology Consortium Board of Directors Will Make a Presentation to Mr. Michael Hill for All of His Efforts in Completing the State Broadband Initiative Grant on Time and at Budget for Sixty Six (66) School and Library Sites in Yavapai County. (Superintendent Carter, Mr. Goligoski, and Mr. Vander Horst)
Frank presented Michael Hill a plague award for appreciation on working through the broadband initiative. The board thanked Mr. Hill for all his dedicated work on the project.
Presentation Discussion and Action Items – Legislative Update, Secure Rural Schools Act/Forest Fee Management Association Report (Superintendent Carter).
Mr. Carter advised the board that FFMA had received the final sequestered payment to complete the payments for 2018. The FFMA funding is now a year behind and not fully secured for future distribution. Mr. Carter let the board know that Senator Ron Wyden played the lead role in getting funding for rural schools. The board discussed sending Senator Wyden a letter to thank him for his efforts. Mr. Carter will draft a letter on the boards behalf and the board will sign before sending to Senator Wyden.
Presentation and Discussion – Broadband Initiative Grant Update (Mr. Goligoski and Mr. Vander Horst).
Frank advised the board that all sites are up and running, 2 sites (Crown King and Canon) are not up to full speed but Sparklight (previously Cable One) is working on the sites to get them the bandwidth they should have. The board discussed the growing Peoria area and what it means to the board if the area within Yavapai County increases and creates new schools. The board agreed to keep an eye on the growth and readily be able to add any new entity to the consortium. It was discussed if the board can bring on new members or associate members, according to the by-laws adding members is at the will of the board.
Presentation, Discussion and Action Item: Treasurer’s Report (Treasurer Cummins)
- Finance Accounts – Gary advised the board that the lowest the checking balance gets is roughly $14,000.
- Administrative Fee – Gary advised the board that currently there is no “savings” or “back up” of funds in the bank account. If the schools do not pay invoices, then the bank will go into the negative. He suggested that the board increase the admin fee by 2 cents, this will increase the amount in the bank for covering late paying schools and eventually add up to enough to fund a mini grant possibly through YCEF for a classrooms technology needs. The board requested that some numbers be reviewed and brought forth to the next November meeting.
- Overdue Client Accounts – Gary advised the board that a few small schools have been roughly 3 months late on payments and advised the board that him and Denise Ronk will begin a new procedure. Going forward, Denise will send out the monthly bill, once the bill is 3 weeks late, Gary will make a phone call to the district, if the bill still isn’t paid, Denise will send out an urgent REDLINED email and a hard copy of the bill. The board discussed if the policy of 60 day late shut off should remain in place since it is not being followed. The board agreed to follow the new procedure and if the bills still do not get paid, then Gary will discuss with the board and the board will decide if shut off is necessary. The board will review the procedures accuracy at the November meeting.
Information Item: The Board has Agreed to Meet on the Following Dates;
The board scheduled the following upcoming meetings.
- November 22, 2019 9:00 AM – YCESA
- February 28, 2020 1:00 PM – YASD Board Room
- May 28, 2020 2:00 PM – YCESA
- August 28, 2020 9:00 AM – YCESA
Action Item: Adjournment
Gary made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 10:50 am, Bill Sakelarios seconded the motion; meeting adjourned at 10:50 am