Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, September 13, 2022
Yavapai Education Service Agency – in person or zoom
2970 Centerpointe East Drive, Prescott, Arizona 86301
Tuesday, September 13, 2022 10:00 am
|Board Members||Representing||March 8 2022||June 14 2022||June 21 2022||August 31, 2022||September 13, 2022|
|Tim Carter||Ex Officio, Non- Voting Facilitator||P||P||P||P||P|
|Kellie Burns||Group 1||P||P||P||P||P|
|Dr. Stephanie Miller||Group 2||P||P||P||P||P|
|Danny Brown||Group 3||P||P||P||P||P|
|Dennis Dearden||Group 4||P||P||P||P||P|
|Mardi Read||Group 5||P||P||P||P||P|
Also present were:
Yavapai County Forest Fee Management Association
Board of Directors
Special Meeting Minutes
Welcome and Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 10:00
Establishment of Quorum and Pledge of Allegiance (President Brown)
A quorum was established
Limited Call to the Public (President Brown)
- The public is invited to speak about any agenda item.
- There is a limit of three (3) minutes per speaker and 20 minutes total.
- Request to speak must be in writing and provided to the Clerk at the beginning of the meeting or prior to any agenda item.
- The President has absolute discretion over procedural matters
- The Board may waive their “Public Participation Policy” as it applies to all speakers.
- Members of the public may indicate their support or opposition to a topic, in writing, that will be noted and entered into the record.
- The Board may not respond to comments from the public, but may ask the facilitator to respond or place the item on a future agenda.
No call to the public.
Discussion and Action Items of the Consent Agenda: all items on the consent agenda may be adopted as a whole with one motion, unless a member of the Board wishes to consider it separately
- Approval of the Minutes from the meeting on June 21, 2022
- Approval of the Minutes of the Joint Meeting with the Yavapai County Educational Technology Consortium on August 31, 2022
- Approval of the Agenda for Tuesday, September 13, 2022
Kellie Burns made a motion to approve the consent agenda as presented; Mardi Read seconded the motion; it was unanimously approved 4/0 by Danny Brown, Stephanie Miller, Mardi Read and Kellie Burns.
Information, Discussion and Action Item: Fiscal Agent Report, Political/Legislative Update, Secure Rural Schools Update
Jenn Nelson updated the board on the fiscal report, sharing the new spread sheets for the new fiscal year. Jenn advised the board that the balance in the account is $1,565,269.33 and the board has encumbered $1,325,871.20 which leaves a remaining balance of $239,398.13 to be used at their discretion during item 7 discussion. Mr. Carter asked if schools had been reaching out to FFMA group representatives needing PD for new legislation for schools. Board members advised that they are all doing their own PD and a group PD has not been requested. Mr. Carter gave a legislative update AACSS, ASBA and ASA are working together with specific legislation for AEL formulas; Regarding Secure Rural Schools Mr. Carter has been speaking with new Senator Kelly and Sinema to see why Forest Services have not yet made the Sept. 2022 payment.
Information, Discussion: General Discussion of the Joint YCETC Meeting on August 31, 2022
Board members agreed that it was a good conversational meeting and look forward to what YCETC decides to work with in the future. Mr. Carter advised the board that YCETC has met since the joint meeting and decided to get all IT Reps together as a group for a meeting to discuss the needs of their schools, from there, YCETC will send out a survey regarding those needs discussed.
Information, Discussion and Action Item: Review and Potentially Modify Encumbrance Items and Amounts
- Technology Related Funding -The board discussed the remaining $451,000 that is needed to fulfill the tech fund requests. The board reviewed the amount remaining and agreed to send out to districts again reminding them of what is currently available and that those funds can be used to reimburse for any technological needs, it is not tied to the surveyed needs from 2019. The board agreed to wait to encumber anymore funds until the next payment is received.
- Consolidated Substitute Teacher Potential Training – Mr. Carter advised the board that he is providing training for the substitutes as a two-day training. He has provided training for a few counties already. The board discussed the only payment out of this encumbrance is for the programming used for the consolidation of substitutes. Since the encumbrance is overdrawn and needs to be balanced at zero.
Danny Brown made a motion to move $1,723.47 from the available funds to the substitute consolidation encumbrance; Mardi Read seconded the motion; it was unanimously approved 4/0 by Danny Brown, Stephanie Miller, Mardi Read, and Kellie Burns.
- E-Rate Update – Mr. Carter advised the board that this encumbrance can be removed from the spread sheet since it is no longer needed through the success of the E-Rate program.
- Lobbying/Advocacy Update – The board reviewed the current lobbying funds. There are enough funds to last through June 2023.
- Yavapai College Matinee Series – Jenn advised the board that the 2021/2022 season has been paid for and the matinee series encumbrance is good through June 2023.
- Administrative Fund – The board reviewed the administrative encumbrance along with the FFMA YCETC website legal encumbrance, which was overdrawn. The board agreed to combine the 2 encumbrances on the encumbrance sheet and title it administrative fund, Jenn will create a spreadsheet to show what is paid out of the administrative fund (legal counsel, insurance, subscriptions, zoom, crisis team, etc.). the board agreed to discuss the need of extra liability insurance at the next meeting.
Mardi Read made a motion to move $2,525.48 from the available funds to the FFMA YCETC website insurance, legal counsel encumbrance; Kellie Burns seconded the motion; it was unanimously approved 4/0 by Danny Brown, Stephanie Miller, Mardi Read, and Kellie Burns
Danny Brown made a motion to combine the administrative funds and the FFMA YCETC website insurance legal counsel encumbrances, and advise Jenn Nelson to create a separate spreadsheet for administrative fund expenditures; Kellie Burns seconded the motion; it was unanimously approved 4/0 by Danny Brown, Stephanie Miller, Mardi Read, and Kellie Burns
Danny Brown made a motion to increase the new administrative fund by $5,000 from the available funds; Kellie Burns seconded the motion; it was unanimously approved 5/0 by Danny Brown, Stephanie Miller, Mardi Read, and Kellie Burns.
- Elections Update – Mr. Carter and Jenn advised the board that this year’s elections have 10 contested elections on the ballot, 5 of those districts are larger districts, 5 are smaller districts.
- Other budget, encumbrances or financial items raised from the member districts or board members – The board agreed that E-Rate will be removed, College and Career Specialist will be removed, and all items will be extended through June 2023 with the exception of the Administrative fund, which will go through perpetuity.
Information Discussion and Action Item: Review and Finalize Survey of the Membership to Identify Collective Needs
The board reviewed the survey results which showed the top three items as Elections, Lobbyist Funds and Technology Funds. The board agreed to discuss this at the next meeting to gather more qualitative data and get more specific in the survey requests/needs.
Discussion and Action Item – Topics from the Board for Future
The need for liability insurance, discussion regarding a follow up survey, election of officers, and new terms for Group 3 (Danny Brown) and Group 1 (Kellie Burns)
Announce Future Meeting Dates
- Tuesday December 13, 2022 (10 AM)
- Tuesday March 21, 2023 (10 AM)
- Tuesday June 13, 2023 (10 AM)
- Tuesday September 12, 2023 (10 AM)
- Tuesday December 12, 2023 (10 AM)
Danny reminded board members that all the future meeting times have changed to 10 am.
Open Call to the Public for Future Agenda Items ( Requires a written request to speak and is limited to one(1) minutes. The Board may not comment on these requests)
Action Item: Adjournment
Danny Brown adjourned the meeting at 2:34 pm