Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, March 21, 2023
Yavapai Education Service Agency – in person or zoom
2970 Centerpointe East Drive, Prescott, Arizona 86301
Tuesday, March 21, 2023 10:00 am
|Board Members||Representing||December 13 2022||March 21 2023||June 13 2023||September 12 2023||December 12 2023|
|Tim Carter||Ex Officio, Non- Voting Facilitator||P||P|
|Kellie Burns||Group 1||P||P|
|Dr. Stephanie Miller||Group 2||P||P|
|Danny Brown||Group 3||P||P|
|Dennis Dearden||Group 4||P||P|
|Mardi Read||Group 5||P||P|
Also present were: Jenn Nelson – YCESA, Frank Vander Horst – YCESA
Yavapai County Forest Fee Management Association
Board of Directors
Welcome and Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 10:03
Establishment of Quorum and Pledge of Allegiance (President Brown)
A quorum was established
Limited Call to the Public (President Brown)
- The public is invited to speak about any agenda item.
- There is a limit of three (3) minutes per speaker and 20 minutes total.
- Request to speak must be in writing and provided to the Clerk at the beginning of the meeting or prior to any agenda item.
- The President has absolute discretion over procedural matters
- The Board may waive their “Public Participation Policy” as it applies to all speakers.
- Members of the public may indicate their support or opposition to a topic, in writing, that will be noted and entered into the record.
- The Board may not respond to comments from the public, but may ask the facilitator to respond or place the item on a future agenda.
No call to the public.
Discussion and Action Items of the Consent Agenda: all items on the consent agenda may be adopted as a whole with one motion, unless a member of the Board wishes to consider it separately
- Approval of the Minutes from the meeting on December 13, 2022
- Approval of the Agenda for Tuesday, March 21, 2023
Mardi Read made a motion to approve the consent agenda as presented; Dennis Dearden seconded the motion; it was unanimously approved 5/0 by Danny Brown, Stephanie Miller, Mardi Read, Dennis Dearden and Kellie Burns.
Information, Discussion and Action Item: Fiscal Agent Report, Political/Legislative Update, Secure Rural Schools Update
Mr. Carter advised the board that state legislation is still in session and the state budget is still in progress with the house and senate. No current regulations impact FFMA, however, at the federal level there is no progress for payments. FFMA has still not received the September 2022 payment, Mr. Carter advised the funds have been appropriated but have not been distributed. The 2023 and future payment funding is unknown at this point in time. Mr. Carter and Jenn presented the board with the general ledger and district distribution sheet, there being no questions, there was no further discussion.
Information, Discussion and Action Item: Review and Potentially Modify Encumbrance Items and Amounts
- Technology Related Funding – The board reviewed the Tech Fund sheet and agreed that the funds will still be frozen until further notice of additional funding, the board will discuss further at the June 2023 meeting.
- Consolidated Substitute Teacher Potential Training – no discussion
- E-Rate Update – Frank advised the board that the administrative fee for YCETC members internet service will be dropped from .20 cents to .10 cents. Frank also advised the board the drop in free and reduced lunch rates will impact the discount that the consortium receives
- Lobbying/Advocacy Update – The board reviewed the current lobbying funds, the board discussed the lobbyist are paid monthly for RASC and some districts joined another lobbying group as well(Under 600). The districts with 2 lobbyist representation will run out of allocated funds for lobbyist (payment or reimbursement). The board agreed in June they will discuss the reallocation of funds and address the issue of annual fees and contracts. Dr. Miller will discuss with her districts their options of paying out of pocket or getting invoiced at the end of the fiscal year for funds that they over expended
- Yavapai College Matinee Series – No Discussion
- Administrative Fund – The board reviewed the administrative encumbrance and the new spreadsheet regarding the funds. Mr. Carter advised the board that the crisis management team gets billed quarterly, and requested the board review the fund at each meeting. Currently the encumbrance is in the negative. The board agreed to see what the rest of the fiscal year has and reallocate funds at the June meeting
- Elections Update – Mr. Carter and Jenn advised the board that elections costs have all been paid to all entities. The elections costs were considerably lower than expected. The board agreed to review and move funds around at the June meeting
- Other budget, encumbrances or financial items raised from the member districts or board members – No discussion
Discussion and Action Item – Topics from the Board for Future
regular agenda items of encumbrance
Announce Future Meeting Dates
- Tuesday June 13, 2023 (10 AM)
- Tuesday September 12, 2023 (10 AM)
- Tuesday December 12, 2023 (10 AM)
Open Call to the Public for Future Agenda Items ( Requires a written request to speak and is limited to one(1) minutes. The Board may not comment on these requests)
Action Item: Adjournment
Danny Brown adjourned the meeting at 11:13 am