YCETC - Yavapai County Technology Consortium - Making Educational Connections Worldwide

Meeting Minutes – May 22nd, 2018

Yavapai County Educational Technology Consortium (YCETC) Board of Directors

YCESA – Giffin/Taylor Training Room 2970 Centerpointe East Dr., Prescott, AZ 86301

Attendance – P=Present; EX=Previous notice of absence; ABS=No previous notice of absence
Board Members YCETC Title Mar. 23 April 20 May 22 July 09 July 27
Tim Carter Ex Officio Facilitator P P P    
Gary Cummins Instructional Technology Rep. P P P    
Kathy Epperson Instructional Technology Rep. P P P    
Christine Griffin Group 3 School Rep. P P P    
Bob Weir Group 2 School Rep. NA P P    
Marvy McNeese Group 1 School Rep P P P    
John Morgan Yavapai College Rep. P P P    
Corey Christians Library Rep. P P P    
Bill Sakelarios Charter Rep. P EX ABS    

Also present were: Stan Goligoski – YCESA, Frank Vander Horst – YCESA e-Rate, Jenn Nelson – YCESA

  1. Call to Order President Epperson called the meeting to order at 2:02 PM
  2. Welcome and Establishment of Quorum and Pledge of Allegiance and a Moment of Silence in Honor of Past President Jeramy Plumb A quorum was established. (Bob Weir arrived during item 5) The board recited the Pledge of Allegiance.
  3. Limited Call to the Public
    • The public is invited to speak about any agenda item.
    • There is a limit of three (3) minutes per speaker and 20 minutes total.
    • Request to speak must be in writing and provided to the Clerk at the beginning of the meeting or prior to any agenda item.
    • The President has absolute discretion over procedural matters.
    • The Board may waive their “Public Participation Policy” as it applies to all speakers.
    • Members of the public may indicate their support or opposition to a topic, in writing, that will be noted And entered into the record.
    • The Board may not respond to comments from the public, but may ask the facilitator to respond or place the item on a future agenda. There were no limited calls from the public.
  4. Discussion and Action Items of the Consent Agenda: All items on the Consent agenda may be adopted as a whole with one motion, unless a member of the Board wishes to consider it separately.
    1. Approval of the Agenda for May 22, 2018
    2. Approval of the Regular Meeting Minutes of April 20, 2018
    3. Ratify the Board Member Christine Griffin Will Retain Her Seat on the YCETC Board of Directors Through June 30, 2018, While Accepting a Principal Position with Humboldt Unified School District. Both Cottonwood Oak Creek School District (Current Employee) and Humboldt Unified School District are Both Members of Group Three (3).
    4. Call for Nomination and Electronic Balloting to Fill a Three Year Seat on the YCETC Board of Directors, for the Group Three (3) Representative (Currently Held By Christine Griffin).

    John Morgan made a motion to approve the consent agenda as presented; Corey Christians seconded the motion; it was approved 7/0

  5. Presentation, Discussion and Action – Legislative Update, Secure Rural Schools Act / Forest Fee Management Association Report Mr. Carter discussed with the board his legislative updated which included the following: Legislature is closed and there is nothing currently going on that could affect the YCETC board.
  6. Presentation, Discussion and Action Item: $1.8 Million Broadband Initiative Grant Update Frank advised the board that the county and other entities are showing high interest and are doing a cost benefit analysis to ensure it is saving money. Stan advised the board that he and Frank have met with the executives of Cable One to discuss broad band expansion to other entities, in addition to schools and libraries. Frank advised the board that he would like to reach out to the Yavapai Apache Nation and other colleges if they are eligible. Tim Carter reviewed the by-laws and ensured the board that if they wish to pursue the tribes and private colleges, there is nothing that says they are not eligible to become members, but it could be solved by a by-law change. Frank will reach out to tribes and Stan will reach out to the private colleges. If the tribes and schools show interest, then Tim Carter will revise the by-laws. Frank shared with the board a broad band summary in which it shows there is one school district, one charter and 16 libraries that are using the 2020 band width, there are five school districts, three charter schools, and 16 libraries that are using the 2017 band width.
  7. Presentation, Discussion and Action – Treasurer’s Report Gary Cummins shared with the board there were no current checks that needed to be ratified. Gary advised the board he had been currently working on getting the 501 C reinstated and provided the board with the current paperwork. Gary Cummins requested that Tim Carter review the paperwork in detail before it is submitted. Frank shared with the board a profit and loss report, which shows net income as $850 for the month of May 2018, and a balance sheet that shows total liabilities and equity as $19,673.60. A. Checking Account Signers / Electronic Funds Transfer The current signers on the account are Kathy Epperson, Gary Cummins and Corey Christians. Kathy and Corey will go to the bank after the meeting to sign the signature card at the bank that removes the previous signers Marvy McNeese and Denise Ronk. Frank advised the board that the electronic fund transfer is not able to be signed by two board members, however, Denise can process the EFT and then send a screen shot to Kathy who will then approve and send to Gary for signing. John Morgan made a motion that once checks are received from the schools and libraries, a designated YCESA employee will process an EFT for the cable one bill, send a screen shot of the EFT and a current invoice to the President of YCETC, once the President approves they will forward the “token” code to the YCETC treasurer, who will then be able to sign in and process the approved EFT, if the president disapproves, they will contact the treasurer and designated employee to review any discrepancies. This process will begin during June 2018 billing cycle; Marvy McNeese seconded the motion; it was approved 6/0.
  8. Presentation and Discussion and Action – Analysis of Potential Revenues and Expenses, Associated with the Broadband Grant and the Sale of Services. The board discussed the following:
    1. Update on 501 c 3 Renewal – Gary advised the board that he has 2-3 more pages that need to be completed before he can submit but he is missing paperwork from FFMA. Tim will get the paperwork from FFMA and review the form in detail for Gary before submittal.
    2. Pre-Pay Libraries – Corey advised the board that he has been in contact with legal counsel and with the Board of Supervisors. He is in need of the original IGA or agreement that was signed between the libraries and YCETC. Tim Carter and Stan will meet with the BOS to discuss their needs and see if they can locate the necessary document. If all is resolved possibly by July, Corey will be able to pre-pay for the libraries for the entire fiscal year.
    3. Late Fee Policies – The board agreed there is no need for a late fee if the members will be billed a month in advance and disconnected after 60 days of no payment. Beginning in July the members will be billed for July and August and then in August they will be billed for September etc.
  9. Presentation, Discussion, and Action – An Open Discussion of the Potential Technology Related / Purchasing Services that the YCETC Might Provide to their Members
    1. VOIP – Stan and Frank advised that they have reached out to schools and the only current interest is in VOIP.
    2. Others
  10. Presentation, Discussion, and Action Item: The Board Agrees to Me8et on the following dates
    • July 27, 2018 – 9am
    • September 21, 2018 – 9am
    • November 30, 3018 – 9am
  11. Action Item: Future Agenda Topics Open Discussion on potential technology purchases, libraries pre-payment update, review of request to FFMA, review of 501 c 3, any potential changes to the board, officer selection
  12. Adjournment
    1. President Epperson adjourned the meeting at 3:12 pm