Annual Meeting Minutes December 8, 2023
Yavapai County Educational Technology Consortium (YCETC)
Board of Directors Annual Meeting Minutes
Friday, December 8, 2023 – 10am
YCESA – training room – TEAMS
2970 Centerpointe E Dr, Prescott 86301
Board Members and the Public May Attend via TEAMS
|Sept. 8, 2023
|Ex Officio Facilitator
|Instructional Technology Rep.
|Instructional Technology Rep.
|Group 3 School Rep.
|Group 2 School Rep.
|Group 1 School Rep
|Yavapai College Rep.
Also present were: Frank Vander Horst – YCESA e-Rate, Jenn Nelson – YCESA
Call to Order (President Epperson)
President Epperson called the meeting to order at 10:01 am.
Welcome and Establishment of Quorum (President Epperson)
A quorum was established.
Pledge of Allegiance (President Epperson)
Limited Call to the Public
- The public is invited to speak about any agenda items
- There is a limit of three (3) minutes per speaker and 20 minutes total
- Request to speak must be in writing and provided to the Clerk at the beginning of the meeting or prior to any agenda item
- The President has absolute direction over procedural matters
- The board may waive their “Public Participation Policy” as it applies to all speakers
- Members of the public may indicate their support or opposition to a topic, in writing that will be noted and entered into the record
- The board may not respond to comments from the public but may ask the facilitator to respond or place the item on a future agenda
There was no limited calls from the public
Discussion and Action Items of the Consent Agenda: all items on the consent agenda may be adopted as a whole with one motion, unless a member of the Board wishes to consider it separately. (President Epperson)
- Approval of the Meeting Minutes of September 8, 2023
- Approval of the Special Meeting Minutes of October 30, 2023
- Approval of the Meeting Agenda for December 8, 2023
Larry Fullmer made a motion to approve the consent agenda as presented; Marvy McNeese seconded the motion; it was approved unanimously 6/0 by Larry Fullmer, Kathy Epperson, Mike Westcott, Marvy McNeese, John Morgan and Bill Sakelarios.
Presentation, Discussion Item: Legislative Update, Broadband Update and Forest Fee Management Association (FFMA) Information
Mr. Carter updated the board with that no current legislation impacts YCETC. There are 2 active bills for Secure Rural Schools, but very little movement. Funds are now a year behind. Broadband is moving forward with progress. WECOM has been contract and Sparklight is currently awaiting contract approval with the Board of Supervisors on Dec. 20th.
Presentation, Discussion and Action Item:
- Add Rachel Fisher to the YCETC bank account with the same permissions as Denise Ronk, effective 11-27-23
- Remove Denise Ronk from the YCETC bank account effective 1-2-2024
The Board of Directors May Adjourn into Executive Session to Discuss Advice of Legal Counsel and Make Decisions Regarding Legal Options and Potential Litigation:
The open meeting law requires a public body to advise all persons attending an executive session that such minutes and information are confidential. A.R.S 38-431.03(C). Members of a public body and others attending the executive session must ensure that the information remains confidential. In addition to violating the Open Meeting Law, criminal charges may arise from a release of confidential information from executive session. “A public officer or employee shall not disclose or use, without appropriate authorization, any information that is acquired by the officer or employee in the course of the officer’s or employee’s official duties and that is declared confidential by law” A.R.S 38-504 (B)
Presentation, Discussion and Action Item: Review, Discuss and Direction Regarding the Following:
• After the YCETC Board Awarded Sparklight with 37 locations in response to the first RFP for YCETC Broadband services, Sparklight came to the realization that their pricing was not competitive in the marketplace, and significantly reduced their pricing (-40% at some speeds/terms)
• If Lumen had responded to the first RFP, this would have become apparent at that time
• The Board voted to approach Sparklight regarding their new, lower pricing, and request their consideration in lowering their pricing to the consortium
• YCETC is one of Sparklight’ s largest customers, and customers with a much smaller purchase are receiving a much lower pricing
• Sparklight did not address our concern, and in fact made several inaccurate remarks
• Mr. Vander Horst and President Epperson have drafted a Letter of Response that will to Sparklight under the President’s signature, to correct the inaccurate information and request lower pricing
• Sparklight responded back to YCETC, and basically dismissed our concerns
• President Epperson, Superintendent Carter and Mr. Vander Horst have been Holding Back Channel Communications with Representatives of Various State Agencies in Regard to Due Process and Will Share the Information with the Board of Directors
• The Board may Provide Direction to Legal Counsel
The board adjourned the meeting and moved into executive session at 10:27 am and reconvened at 11:06 am. Executive session minutes are confidential. Jessica Vocca joined the meeting during executive session at 10:45 am.
Kathy Epperson made a motion to direct legal counsel as discussed in executive session; Larry Fullmer seconded the motion; it was unanimously approved 7/0 by Larry Fullmer, Kathy Epperson, Mike Westcott, Marvy McNeese, Jessica Vocca, John Morgan and Bill Sakelarios
Information, Discussion and Action Item: Election of Officers for Two Year Terms, beginning immediately and ending at the Annual Meeting 2025
- Vice President
The board discussed the officers and the retirement of President Epperson. President Epperson advised the board she is willing to serve on the board as President until the March meeting. Marvy agreed she would serve as Vice President for another 2-year term.
John Morgan made a motion to postpone the election of President until the March 2024 meeting and extend Kathy Epperson as President, and elect Marvy McNeese as the Vice President for a 2-year term; Larry Fullmer seconded the motion; it was unanimously approved 7/0 by Larry Fullmer, Kathy Epperson, Mike Westcott, Marvy McNeese, Jessica Vocca, John Morgan and Bill Sakelarios
Discussion and Action Item: The following Meeting Dates have been established by the board. The board may add future meeting dates:
December 8, 2023 10am
March 1, 2024 10am
June 14, 2024 10am
September 13, 2024 10am
December 13, 2024 10am
Marvy requested to move the December 13, 2024 meeting to December 6, 2024. The board agreed.
John Morgan made a motion to move the December 13, 2024 meeting to December 6, 2024; Marvy McNeese seconded the motion; it was unanimously approved 7/0 by Larry Fullmer, Kathy Epperson, Mike Westcott, Marvy McNeese, Jessica Vocca, John Morgan and Bill Sakelarios
Action Item: Adjournment
Meeting was adjourned at 11:21 am