Home Schooling

The following information is being provided to assist you in complying with Arizona Revised Statutes (ARS §15-802.B2) regarding students instructed at home:

Affidavit of Intent to Home School

An Affidavit of Intent GED Testing Center must be filed within 30 days of the beginning of home instruction. If you wish to mail the affidavit to our office, it must be notarized.

You, the parent or guardian of the child receiving home instruction in our county, are required to provide one of the following to this office:

1. An original or a certified copy of the birth certificate for the pupil. (Photocopies will NOT be accepted.)
Certified Birth Certificate QuestionGED Testing Center

2. Other reliable proof of the pupil’s identity and age, including baptismal certificate, an application for a Social Security number, or original school registration records and an affidavit explaining the inability to provide a copy of the birth certificate.

3. A letter from the authorized representative of an agency having custody of the pupil certifying that the pupil has been placed in the custody of the agency as prescribed by law.

Arizona is a “closed record” state, which means that vital records are not public record and therefore allowed to be notarized. Vital Records
(The 1987 Legislature passed a law designed to help trace the location of any child who is reported missing. Our office is required to assist in this effort, thus the above requirements.)

Our office must be notified within 30 days of the termination of home instruction.
GED Testing CenterHome School WD Form

Where Do I Start?

Once you have submitted the Affidavit of Intent and an original Birth Certificate to our office for the child utilizing the home schooling program, you may ask “Where do I start?”

The State of Arizona requires that children between the ages of 6 and 16 be instructed in the following subjects:


Books may be available on loan from your local school. It is, however, up to the discretion of the individual districts.

You may request from your school district the standards for each of the subject areas or visit the Arizona Department of Education (ADE) website at www.ade.az.gov/standards/contentstandards.asp

Support groups are well organized, experienced, and plentiful should you need assistance. A few contact names are as follows:

Knowledge House is an informative website for parents who are thinking about home schooling: http://www.knowledgehouse.info/

Arizona Families for Home Education, a statewide organization that supports and promotes home education, is a group which hosts an annual Senior High Graduate Recognition Ceremony, an annual Junior High Graduate Recongition Ceremony, and an annual state homeschool convention and curriculum fair. For more informtation on these and other Home Education information, contact them using the options shown below:

Arizona Families for Home Education (web site: www.afhe.org)
PO Box 2035 Chandler, AZ 85244-2035
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
24-hour information (602) 235-2673


Our office does not issue diplomas to home schooled students. A child must enroll in a Public School to receive a diploma or receive a GED. In addition to the above high school alternative, you may wish to contact the following GED Programs: Yavapai College at 776-2200 or ADE at 602-258-2410 ext. 222.

Participation in School Activities

School districts are required to allow home schooled students to participate in interscholastic activities. The home schooled student must meet the same eligibility requirements, such as passing grades (as certified by the parent), as regular students. If there is a charge (Pay for Play, etc.), the home schooled student must pay the same fee as other students. Academic activities are not the same as interscholastic activities. Schools can take a home schooled student for any number of classes if the district wants to. However, unless a student is enrolled for at least ¼ time (as applicable to age of student) the district receives no state aid and is under no obligation to take a home schooled student.

Special Education

If your child requires special education services, please contact your local school district or charter school. You may also call Exceptional Student Services with ADE at 800- 352-4558.


ARS §15-745 does not require the testing of children who are home schooled. You may wish to contact your local school district to inquire if they will accommodate your child during their testing periods. Please note, however, they are under no obligation to do so.

Please contact us if you have any questions regarding home instruction.

Public School At Home Options

Correspondence schooling is available if your student needs to complete coursework at home. Here are a few of the many choices:

Support Groups

Arizona Families for Home Education
P.O. Box 2035
Chandler, AZ 85244-2035
Voicemail - 602-235-2673    


Phone: (928) 771-3326

Fax: (928) 771-3329

Support Services Phone: (928) 771-3544


2970 Centerpointe East Drive Prescott, AZ 86301